I don’t like to do these until after a few games have been played, just to have a better feel for the teams. Four games in, here’s the Jumbo Dozen Power Rankings No. 1 for 2009:
1. Baylor, 4-0: Seems to have the best combination of skills and experience.
2. Oklahoma, 4-0: If Sooners can handle Texas at home Sunday, then it really heats up the Baylor game next.
3. Kansas State, 3-1: May turn out like last year when the Wildcats’ only South losses were to Bears and Sooners. One of those has already happened.
4. Texas A&M, 2-2: A good team that’s still learning how best to utilize its depth.
5. Texas, 2-1: After pounding Buffs, Horns have eight days to prepare for Sooners on Sunday.
6. Iowa State, 2-2: Cyclones are doing OK, just have to avoid their ghosts in Lincoln on Saturday.
7. Texas Tech, 2-2: Raiders have to fix offensive lapses that doomed them against K-State
8. Oklahoma State, 1-2: It’s probably been good for Cowgirls to have week of practice before A&M.
9. Nebraska, 1-3: Next two games are against the top two North teams.
10. Kansas, 1-3: Beat Missouri but has scored 39, 49 and 58 points in three other games.
11. Missouri, 1-3: Showed life in opener against Texas A&M and edged Nebraska at home.
12. Colorado, 0-4: The Buffs likely aren’t worse than the three North teams above them; they’ve just had to open with four South teams.
Read Full Post »